Tips To Fight Off Drowsy Driving
Driving is a task that requires the utmost attention and alertness. Hence, having spells of drowsiness when you are trying to stay alert and drive is unhelpful at all and can prove dangerous.
Rolling down the windows, letting fresh air in, and blasting the stereos are often considered foolproof steps to keep sleep away. However, these tricks are not really useful or effective.
IDENTIFY WHEN YOU SHOULD TAKE A BREAK
The first step to fighting off drowsy driving is avoiding it when you experience any of the following signs:
- Heavy eyelids
- Difficulty in focusing
- Frequent blinking
- Yawning continuously
- Rubbing eyes repeatedly
- Feeling restless
- Drifting from the lane
- Missing exists/traffic signals
These signs apply to any person who might exhibit sluggishness, but the last two pointers apply to people who are feeling drowsy while driving. The most appropriate thing to undertake is to avoid driving if you are experiencing any of the above.
Slowed reaction time and lapses in attention make slumberous driving extremely dangerous.
Here are some steps you can take to avoid this.
- Make sure you get a good 7-8 hours sleep before you drive.
- While driving at night, taking a pre-drive nap can help prevent drowsy driving in Neptune, NJ.
- If you feel fatigued while driving, take a break, park the car somewhere safe, and take a 20-minutes nap. Remember you might feel groggy once you wake up, and that feeling will stay for the next 10 minutes or so. Take it easy during that window and start driving once you feel steady.
- In the event you are driving with a partner, take turns driving every couple of hours. This way, both drivers get taking a stretch break, enjoy the view, or most importantly, take a short nap, every 2 hours.
- Make sure you do not rush when you are feeling drowsy. As mentioned earlier, the slow response rate requires handling a speeding vehicle even more dangerous.
- Drink caffeine as it helps improve alertness and helps keep the drowsiness away for suitable 4-5 hours.
Follow these steps to remain careful and drive safe around Neptune, Freehold, Asbury Park, and Belmar. We wish you a happy journey!